Get Your Geek On
The Austin scene of Web designers and usability experts, technologists, social media enthusiasts, game developers, and beyond seems to be thriving, with an almost overwhelming number of groups and corresponding events every week.
- Refresh Austin – for Web designers and developers working to keep it fresh. The next meeting is Tuesday, May 13th.
- Geek Austin – their blog includes interviews with lots of tech industry and startup stars. Geek Austin and Refresh Austin are hosting a WordPress Fest on May 21st to celebrate the release of the blogging software’s version 2.5.
- Jelly Austin! – although not exclusive to tech workers, this co-working group meets currently every Friday at Café Caffeine.
- Creative Commons Austin Salon – this group advocates for Creative Commons, which “provides free tools that let authors, scientists, artists, and educators easily mark their creative work with the freedoms they want it to carry.” They have a Google group and meet occasionally.
- 501c Tech Club – affiliated with NTEN, the Nonprofit Technology Network, this group meets monthly although I don’t see the next meeting date’s info on the site. (If you’re interested in the intersection of technology and nonprofits, check out the great blog FISpace.)
- Austin High Tech Happy Hour – is just what it sounds like.
- Social Media Club – a fairly nascent group of social media professionals and enthusiasts whose next meeting is May 15th.
Speaking of co-working, if you do freelance work, often work from home, or are starting your own business, you might be interested in the work of Conjunctured, a co-working company and the forthcoming LaunchPad, a co-working space (so you don’t have to go to your local coffeeshop all the time and you can have a place to meet, make copies, etc.)